IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S...


I got this in an e-mail from a good friend, Charity Madion, a little while back. It is hilarious, and I am SO a girl of the 1970's!


IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S...

  • You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. (I actually didn’t have this one)

  • You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. (Sure did, see my painting “Bicycle with a Banana Seat”!)

  • You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. (Yep, see my painting “Roller Derby Roller Skates”!)

  • You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) (Yes, I did. Same with Ponch on “CHiPs” – I made a fake driver’s license with the name Brittany Estrada on it for myself!)

  • You had either a 'bowl cut' or 'pixie', not to mention the 'Dorothy Hamill'. People sometimes thought you were a boy. (People always thought I was a boy. When I was at Cindy Munie’s birthday party at Tally Hall in 7th grade, a girl about my same age said to me “Are you a boy, if you are, you’re really cute!”)

  • You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. (Yes, and my Moon boots were soaking wet and weighed about 40 lbs. each the entire 3 days we were at Camp Tamarack in 6th grade!)

  • YEAH! You owned a 'Slip-n-Slide', on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. (No, Mom wouldn’t get one of these for us, they were “too dangerous”. We got to run through the sprinklers instead.)

  • You owned 'Klick-Klacks' and smacked yourself in the face more than once! (Again, “too dangerous”)

  • Your Hollie Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. (No, I had the purse with the miniature Holly Hobbie in the outside pocket.)

  • You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. (Yes, yes, and yes.)

  • You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. (For me it was Merlin, which I used as a fake telephone.)

  • You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or The Sunshine Family. (You KNOW I had that damn Sunshine Family, see the whole awful story on my Sunshine Family page.)

  • You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. (We had an elevated fort instead. I thought it would be a good idea to take a giant tube that some carpeting came in and make it into a tube slide. It was not fun when that tube fell down 8’ with me inside of it)

  • You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (Oh yeah!) (No, I had short hair. See the comment above.)

  • You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. (What are salt-water sandals? I didn’t have the Doctor Scholl’s either, but Missy did. She whipped one at my head when she was made at me and I had to get stitches above my eye!)

  • You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson! (I think I wore that blouse in 7th grade!)

  • You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! (Definitely. With Xanadu playing in the background!)

  • PONG! ('video tennis' ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of. (Loved it!)

  • Your hairstyle was described as having 'wings' or 'feathers' and you kept it 'pretty' with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the 'wings' flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna 'take off'. (No, my hair was still boy-short. I did have a bright yellow comb in my back pocket, though…)

  • You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. (what happened to Lemon Meringue?) (I do, but I was getting a little too old by the time they came around --I was into Raggedy Ann and Andy when I was young…)

  • You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside some were glass and broke the first time you dropped them. (I actually had Raggedy Ann and Hollie Hobbie lunchboxes. By 4th grade, NO ONE carried a lunchbox. Very uncool.)

  • You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. (For me, it was Battlestar Galactica: I couldn’t decide between Starbuck, played by Dirk Benedict, or Apollo, played by Richard Hatch.)

  • YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! (Yes, and the Millenium Falcon!)

  • It was a big event in your household each year when the 'Wizard of Oz' would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! (And “Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang,” too!)

  • You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! (Yes!)

  • You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. (I still do J)

No comments: